Blogs > High School Sports

Welcome to the New Haven Register high school sports blog where our talented staff of Chris Hunn, Joe Morelli, Dan Nowak and Mike Pucci will keep you up to date on everything to do with high school sports in Connecticut. Mike Pucci's Gridiron Glory blog for high school football remains. We hope you enjoy and feel free to join in the conversation.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Moore leaves Fordham, transfers to Hofstra

Former Hillhouse boys' basketball standout Mike Moore has chosen to transfer to Hofstra University after spending his first two seasons at Fordham.
Moore, a shooting guard, will sit out next season due to NCAA Division I regulations before joining the Pride, a member of the Colonial Athletic Association. It was the only official visit Moore made after deciding to transfer. Moore, 20, also considered Fairfield, Creighton, Northeastern and Virginia Commonwealth.
"I visited Northeastern (during my senior year of high school) and I didn't want to go out there (to Creighton)," Moore said. "Because of the location, the coaching staff and the players, I felt really good with (Hofstra, located in Hempstead, N.Y.)."
Moore, the 2007 Register State Player of the Year, started 23 games for the Rams last season and finished as the team's second leading scorer (12.8 ppg.). He also averaged 4.5 rebounds and added 29 assists, 27 steals and three blocked shots.
Moore said he doesn't regret going there, but felt it was best to move on from Fordham, which finished last in the Atlantic-10 and had a 3-25 overall record under Dereck Whittenburg.
"I don't regret coming to Fordham. I made a lot of friends there, but basketball-wise, it was no longer what I wanted," said Moore, who is 6-foot-5, 192 pounds. "I could take the yelling (from Whittenburg) as long as it is working and we are winning. But I wasn't seeing any results from it. We weren't heading in the same direction. I wasn't confident and I didn't feel like it was still the right place for me."
Hofstra wentr 21-11 last year under Tom Pecora.
"He (Pecora) wants me to come in and be an impact player," Moore said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home