Blogs > High School Sports

Welcome to the New Haven Register high school sports blog where our talented staff of Chris Hunn, Joe Morelli, Dan Nowak and Mike Pucci will keep you up to date on everything to do with high school sports in Connecticut. Mike Pucci's Gridiron Glory blog for high school football remains. We hope you enjoy and feel free to join in the conversation.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Prep's Steiner signs Letter of Intent to play soccer at Villanova




By Mary Albl
@MaryAlbl on Twitter
FAIRFIELD -- After a storybook senior season at Fairfield Prep on the pitch, goaltender Will Steiner’s journey continues.
Wednesday morning, Steiner signed his official Letter of Intent to Villanova University, in Villanova, Pa. to play soccer for the Wildcats.
“I was always very interested in Villanova for both its engineering program and the strong soccer program there,” he said. “I took a visit their last year and I loved it and I love the coaching staff, the team and enjoyed my visit very much, so it was  pretty easy decision for me.”
Steiner helped guide Prep to its best season in school history last fall, finishing 20-3-1, and runner up in the Class LL state title game to Norwalk. Steiner was named All-American for his efforts as he recorded 17 shutouts his senior season, and was the MVP of the Southern Connecticut Conference Tournament. He was also named the Register’s All-Area MVP.
Steiner will be playing in the Big East Conference this fall, as Villanova finished 12-6-2 in 2012. The Wildcats recently announced the hiring of Zach Thornton as the associated head coach. Thornton is a former Major League Soccer goalkeeper and two-time MLS Goalkeeper of the Year. Steiner said he’s excited about the opportunity to work with Thornton and expand his game.
“I mean, not much more I can ask for in a great coach,” Steiner said. “He’s definitely going to help me a lot. I was there this weekend for my official and talking to them; it’s just keep getting better there and I’m excited to work with them and their coaching staff and to just be a part of that team.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home