Blogs > High School Sports

Welcome to the New Haven Register high school sports blog where our talented staff of Chris Hunn, Joe Morelli, Dan Nowak and Mike Pucci will keep you up to date on everything to do with high school sports in Connecticut. Mike Pucci's Gridiron Glory blog for high school football remains. We hope you enjoy and feel free to join in the conversation.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Boys' hockey: Roos discusses stepping down at Notre Dame-Fairfield

By Dan Nowak
Register Staff
dnowak@nhregister.com
A week ago, legendary high school boys’ hockey coach Marty Roos shocked the Connecticut scholastic hockey world by deciding to step down in mid-season as Notre Dame-Fairfield coach. The only comment forthcoming from Roos the past week regarding the move was a brief statement in a press release distributed by the Notre Dame-Fairfield athletic department.
In an exclusive interview with the Register this morning (Tuesday), Roos’ first interview with the media since stepping down, he echoed his sentiments in the press release but went a step further, including his desire to put to rest some rumors.
“It was just my time to move on,” said Roos, 76. “I always told you when the time was right to step away from coaching I would know. It was a decision I had to make, I made the decision and once I made the decision I moved forward and didn’t look back.
“What I want to do now is spend my time with the little people, helping youth players develop and play the game that I love. I read stories where I might come back to coach high school hockey. That is not my plan. My focus right now is on youth hockey.”
Roos spent 41 years coaching boys’ hockey, first with Fairfield Prep and then took over for the Lancers in the 1991-92 season. He owns the record for most wins by a Connecticut high school coach with a 536-301-19 career record (both schools combined). He won six CIAC state titles.
There have been rumors that his decision was due to health or due to problems with Lancers’ players and parents. Roos emphatically denied that was the case.
“Hey, I feel great,” Roos said. “I grew up on a farm and I’m in good health. This decision had absolutely nothing to do with what was going on with the team. I had no problems with parents and I had no problems with players or the school.
“I just felt it was time to move on.”
Roos, who owns the Milford Ice Pavilion and Northford Ice Pavilion in North Branford, said he doesn’t plan to be a recluse and will have a bigger public presence at his rinks.
“I love to skate and that’s something I’ll always do,” Roos said.
Follow Dan on Twitter @NHRDanNowak. To receive breaking news first, simply text the word nhsports to 22700. *Msg & Data Rates May Apply. Text HELP for help. Text STOP to cancel.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home